EPW015682 ENGLAND (1926). The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (46)

EPW015682
  0° 0m
EPW048259
  32° 9m
EPW048251
  247° 23m
EPW060992
  257° 40m
EPW001248
  301° 45m
EPW048262
  207° 47m
EPW015688
  135° 49m
EPW048260
  261° 49m
EPW019228
  358° 52m
EPW031459
  342° 52m
EPW048257
  270° 57m
EPW015686
  18° 69m
EAW022325
  195° 74m
EPW031461
  238° 87m
EPW048254
  264° 87m
EPW016003
  264° 90m
EPW015681
  282° 91m
EPW015689
  222° 95m
EPW015683
  208° 106m
EPW001247
  195° 107m
EPW001249
  284° 113m
EPW048261
  290° 114m
EPW031458
  253° 117m
EAW022320
  308° 121m
EPW015687
  271° 132m
EPW048253
  135° 134m
EPW031596
  349° 135m
EPW046724
  320° 143m
EPW031520
  193° 144m
EPW015685
  141° 157m
EPW016002
  271° 159m
EPW031597
  252° 166m
EPW031598
  126° 168m
EPW022460
  274° 174m
EPW015684
  160° 177m
EPW046725
  262° 179m
EPW031604
  244° 188m
EPW031521
  186° 195m
EPW031517
  263° 198m
EPW031515
  286° 203m
EAW022317
  155° 209m
EPW025948
  305° 211m
EPW031518
  166° 223m
EPW016000
  264° 231m
EPW060991
  152° 246m
EAW022319
  147° 287m

Details

Title [EPW015682] The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926
Reference EPW015682
Date 1-June-1926
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506300, 205054
Longitude / Latitude -0.46050617947404, 51.733648630024
National Grid Reference TL063051

Pins

nash mill school

H.E.
Thursday 5th of February 2015 11:41:24 PM
The canal formerly passed by here but was moved closer to the mill as a source of water.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:02:52 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:53:08 PM
Grand Union Canal (1798)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:46:39 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:37:54 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of '''Apsley Mill''', Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater '''1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire.''' The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:19:01 PM