We're working hard to make our services better for you. While we're doing some essential maintenance, this website – or parts of it – might be intermittently unavailable at times between Monday 18 – Monday 25 November. Thank you for your patience.

EPW015688 ENGLAND (1926). The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (48)

EPW015688
  0° 0m
EPW015682
  315° 49m
EPW048259
  325° 52m
EPW048262
  262° 57m
EPW048251
  294° 62m
EAW022325
  236° 66m
EPW060992
  289° 78m
EPW048253
  135° 84m
EPW048260
  288° 88m
EPW001247
  222° 94m
EPW001248
  308° 94m
EPW019228
  337° 94m
EPW048257
  290° 98m
EPW031459
  329° 99m
EPW015686
  352° 101m
EPW015683
  235° 103m
EPW015689
  250° 105m
EPW015685
  144° 108m
EPW031461
  264° 109m
EPW031598
  123° 119m
EPW048254
  282° 124m
EPW031520
  212° 125m
EPW016003
  282° 127m
EPW015684
  169° 134m
EPW015681
  293° 135m
EPW031458
  270° 148m
EPW001249
  293° 158m
EPW048261
  297° 160m
EAW022317
  161° 164m
EPW031521
  199° 168m
EAW022320
  310° 170m
EPW015687
  283° 171m
EPW031596
  340° 178m
EPW031518
  175° 183m
EPW046724
  319° 192m
EPW031597
  265° 193m
EPW016002
  281° 197m
EPW060991
  156° 199m
EPW031604
  257° 210m
EPW046725
  272° 213m
EPW022460
  283° 214m
EPW031516
  174° 223m
EPW031517
  273° 232m
EPW060990
  161° 233m
EAW022319
  150° 239m
EAW022324
  154° 245m
EPW031515
  292° 248m
EPW025948
  307° 260m

Details

Title [EPW015688] The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926
Reference EPW015688
Date 1-June-1926
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506335, 205019
Longitude / Latitude -0.46001018324621, 51.733327378834
National Grid Reference TL063050

Pins

Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:14:32 PM
Grand Junction Canal, later Grand Union Canal, here following the path of the River Gade

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:13:59 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:09:56 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809), followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at Apsley 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former Apsley Mill site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - John Dickinson (inventor) and John Dickinson Stationery Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:04:52 PM