EPW015685 ENGLAND (1926). The Apsley Paper Mills and the Grand Union Canal, Apsley, 1926

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (44)

EPW015685
  0° 0m
EPW048253
  353° 28m
EPW031598
  58° 43m
EPW015684
  220° 58m
EAW022317
  189° 68m
EPW060991
  169° 96m
EPW031518
  206° 105m
EPW015688
  324° 108m
EAW022325
  293° 128m
EPW001247
  278° 128m
EAW022319
  155° 132m
EPW031520
  262° 132m
EPW060990
  174° 133m
EPW031521
  239° 138m
EAW022324
  162° 140m
EPW031516
  197° 140m
EPW048262
  304° 144m
EPW015683
  281° 150m
EPW015682
  321° 157m
EPW048259
  324° 160m
EPW048251
  313° 165m
EPW015689
  287° 170m
EPW060989
  183° 172m
EAW022315
  179° 174m
EPW060992
  309° 178m
EAW022321
  183° 185m
EPW048260
  308° 187m
EPW031461
  294° 188m
EPW048257
  308° 197m
EPW001248
  317° 200m
EPW031519
  90° 200m
EPW019228
  330° 201m
EPW015686
  338° 203m
EPW031460
  216° 203m
EPW031459
  326° 207m
EPW048254
  301° 217m
EPW016003
  301° 220m
EPW031458
  293° 229m
EPW015681
  307° 234m
EPW001249
  305° 257m
EPW048261
  308° 261m
EPW015687
  298° 262m
EAW022320
  315° 276m
EPW046724
  321° 300m

Details

Title [EPW015685] The Apsley Paper Mills and the Grand Union Canal, Apsley, 1926
Reference EPW015685
Date 1-June-1926
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506398, 204931
Longitude / Latitude -0.45912505134963, 51.732524399138
National Grid Reference TL064049

Pins

Bridge to apsley (sainsburys)

Baz 1969
Saturday 14th of March 2015 07:28:51 PM
The canal footbridge to apsley

Baz 1969
Sunday 1st of March 2015 09:00:47 AM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:09:31 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809), followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at Apsley 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former Apsley Mill site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - John Dickinson (inventor) and John Dickinson Stationery Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:08:49 PM
This is what I was told is 'Belswains House' Now where Dell Mead and Belswains Cottages are sited

ordinarybloke
Saturday 6th of April 2013 09:47:52 PM
I now think Dell Mead is slightly North of this

ordinarybloke
Saturday 6th of April 2013 09:49:41 PM
Canal boat towing butty boat heading south towards Nash Mills Lock

D Figueiredo
Wednesday 19th of December 2012 12:14:09 PM
The pair are heading north not south

AndrewGVT
Tuesday 12th of June 2018 04:20:32 PM