EPW016003 ENGLAND (1926). St Mary's Church and the Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (48)

EPW016003
  0° 0m
EPW048254
  108° 3m
EPW015681
  2° 27m
EPW031458
  222° 33m
EPW048257
  76° 33m
EPW001249
  330° 41m
EPW031461
  157° 41m
EPW048260
  88° 41m
EPW015687
  285° 43m
EPW048261
  340° 50m
EPW060992
  91° 51m
EPW001248
  57° 60m
EPW015689
  157° 68m
EPW048251
  90° 68m
EPW016002
  279° 70m
EPW048262
  116° 76m
EPW031597
  237° 80m
EAW022320
  356° 83m
EPW022460
  284° 86m
EPW046725
  259° 89m
EPW015682
  84° 90m
EAW022325
  132° 94m
EPW015683
  155° 94m
EPW031459
  51° 94m
EPW048259
  80° 96m
EPW019228
  56° 107m
EPW031517
  262° 107m
EPW031604
  227° 108m
EPW001247
  147° 113m
EPW046724
  359° 119m
EPW031515
  302° 124m
EPW015688
  102° 127m
EPW015686
  56° 134m
EPW016000
  264° 140m
EPW031520
  156° 144m
EPW025948
  327° 154m
EPW031596
  25° 155m
EPW052863
  301° 189m
EPW031521
  159° 198m
EPW015684
  136° 218m
EPR000169
  307° 222m
EAW022316
  302° 240m
EPW048258
  289° 248m
EPW031518
  146° 252m
EPR000483
  292° 259m
EPR000400
  307° 262m
EAW022323
  321° 272m
EPW031516
  149° 289m

Details

Title [EPW016003] St Mary's Church and the Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926
Reference EPW016003
Date 30-June-1926
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506210, 205046
Longitude / Latitude -0.46181154301309, 51.733593782464
National Grid Reference TL062050

Pins

nash mills school

H.E.
Monday 19th of January 2015 10:32:37 PM

H.E.
Monday 19th of January 2015 10:31:47 PM
Grand Junction Canal (1798), later Grand Union Canal

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:34:50 PM
Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:32:49 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:31:42 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:30:38 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:27:15 PM