EPW001249 ENGLAND (1920). John Dickinsons Paper Mill, Apsley, 1920

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (48)

EPW001249
  0° 0m
EPW048261
  14° 12m
EPW015681
  113° 22m
EPW015687
  222° 32m
EPW016003
  150° 41m
EPW048254
  148° 43m
EAW022320
  17° 49m
EPW016002
  243° 54m
EPW048257
  117° 59m
EPW031458
  182° 61m
EPW022460
  257° 65m
EPW048260
  119° 70m
EPW001248
  93° 71m
EPW060992
  117° 80m
EPW031461
  154° 82m
EPW046724
  12° 85m
EPW046725
  232° 85m
EPW031515
  289° 90m
EPW031597
  211° 92m
EPW048251
  112° 95m
EPW031459
  76° 96m
EPW031517
  240° 100m
EPW015689
  155° 109m
EPW019228
  77° 111m
EPW048262
  128° 112m
EPW015682
  104° 113m
EPW025948
  326° 113m
EPW048259
  99° 116m
EPW031604
  208° 124m
EPW016000
  247° 130m
EAW022325
  138° 134m
EPW015683
  153° 135m
EPW031596
  39° 135m
EPW015686
  73° 137m
EPW001247
  148° 154m
EPW052863
  294° 154m
EPW015688
  113° 158m
EPR000169
  302° 185m
EPW031520
  155° 185m
EAW022316
  296° 205m
EPW048258
  281° 219m
EPR000400
  302° 224m
EPR000483
  285° 228m
EAW022323
  320° 232m
EPW031521
  158° 239m
EAW022318
  342° 240m
EPR000484
  289° 258m
EPW031518
  146° 294m

Details

Title [EPW001249] John Dickinsons Paper Mill, Apsley, 1920
Reference EPW001249
Date May-1920
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506190, 205082
Longitude / Latitude -0.46209009492164, 51.733921173038
National Grid Reference TL062051

Pins

nash mill c e school

H.E.
Monday 19th of January 2015 10:20:12 PM
Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:12:34 PM
The canal formerly ran along here but was moved closer to the mill as a water supply source.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:56:26 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:53:29 PM
Grand Union Canal (1798)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:46:21 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:37:11 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of '''Apsley Mill''', Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater '''1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire.''' The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:18:01 PM