We're working hard to make our services better for you. While we're doing some essential maintenance, this website – or parts of it – might be intermittently unavailable at times between Monday 18 – Monday 25 November. Thank you for your patience.

EPW022460 ENGLAND (1928). St Mary's Church and the Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1928

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (48)

EPW022460
  0° 0m
EPW016002
  123° 18m
EPW046725
  186° 38m
EPW031517
  212° 42m
EPW015687
  103° 43m
EPW031515
  334° 48m
EPW001249
  77° 65m
EPW016000
  237° 66m
EPW031597
  166° 66m
EPW048261
  68° 71m
EPW031458
  127° 77m
EPW015681
  86° 85m
EPW016003
  104° 86m
EPW048254
  104° 89m
EPW031604
  177° 95m
EAW022320
  52° 99m
EPW025948
  1° 109m
EPW052863
  315° 109m
EPW031461
  120° 116m
EPW048257
  96° 117m
EPW048260
  99° 126m
EPW046724
  40° 127m
EPW001248
  85° 135m
EPW060992
  99° 136m
EPW015689
  127° 139m
EPR000169
  320° 146m
EPW048251
  98° 153m
EAW022316
  311° 160m
EPW048262
  110° 161m
EPW031459
  77° 162m
EPW048258
  291° 162m
EPW015683
  131° 164m
EPR000483
  296° 173m
EPW015682
  94° 174m
EAW022325
  119° 176m
EPW019228
  77° 177m
EPW048259
  91° 179m
EPR000400
  317° 184m
EPW001247
  129° 186m
EPW031596
  51° 191m
EPW048252
  275° 198m
EPW015686
  75° 202m
EPR000484
  298° 205m
EAW022323
  336° 209m
EPW031520
  137° 209m
EPR000485
  305° 229m
EAW022318
  357° 243m
EPW031521
  143° 258m

Details

Title [EPW022460] St Mary's Church and the Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1928
Reference EPW022460
Date 9-August-1928
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506126, 205068
Longitude / Latitude -0.46302089297557, 51.733807451516
National Grid Reference TL061051

Pins

Grand Junction Canal (1798), later Grand Union Canal

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:35:00 PM
Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:32:58 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:31:55 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:31:45 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:28:26 PM
Belswain's Lane

ordinarybloke
Sunday 7th of April 2013 10:25:43 AM
Sainbury's sits about here now

ordinarybloke
Sunday 7th of April 2013 10:24:43 AM