EPW025948 ENGLAND (1929). The Apsley Paper Mills and St Mary's Church, Apsley, 1929

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (47)

EPW025948
  0° 0m
EPW031515
  199° 68m
EPW046724
  98° 81m
EPW052863
  248° 84m
EAW022320
  121° 90m
EPR000169
  272° 95m
EPW048261
  141° 105m
EPW022460
  181° 109m
EPW001249
  146° 113m
EPW016002
  173° 119m
EAW022323
  313° 120m
EAW022316
  269° 121m
EPW015687
  161° 125m
EPR000400
  282° 129m
EPW015681
  141° 133m
EAW022318
  355° 134m
EPW031517
  189° 147m
EPW046725
  182° 147m
EPW031596
  86° 148m
EPW016003
  147° 154m
EPW016000
  201° 156m
EPW048254
  147° 157m
EPW048258
  251° 160m
EPR000483
  258° 161m
EPW001248
  126° 165m
EPW031458
  159° 166m
EPW048257
  136° 168m
EPW031459
  115° 172m
EPW031597
  175° 174m
EPW048260
  136° 178m
EPR000484
  266° 182m
EPW019228
  112° 185m
EPW060992
  134° 187m
EPR000485
  277° 189m
EPW031461
  149° 195m
EPW048251
  131° 199m
EPW015686
  106° 202m
EPW031604
  179° 204m
EPW015682
  125° 211m
EPW048259
  123° 211m
EPW048252
  245° 217m
EPW015689
  150° 222m
EPW048262
  137° 222m
EAW022325
  142° 247m
EPW015683
  150° 248m
EPW015688
  127° 260m
EPW001247
  147° 268m

Manylion

Pennawd [EPW025948] The Apsley Paper Mills and St Mary's Church, Apsley, 1929
Cyfeirnod EPW025948
Dyddiad 3-April-1929
Dolen
Enw lle APSLEY
Plwyf
Ardal
Gwlad ENGLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506128, 205177
Hydred / Lledred -0.46295869431988, 51.734786863844
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL061052

Pinnau

Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:46:58 PM
Grand Junction Canal (1798), later Grand Union Canal

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:45:32 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:44:06 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:42:40 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead''' (1809), followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill site''' in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:41:40 PM