EPW016000 ENGLAND (1926). St Mary's Church and the Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (48)

EPW016000
  0° 0m
EPW031517
  90° 33m
EPW046725
  92° 52m
EPW022460
  57° 66m
EPW016002
  69° 75m
EPW031597
  111° 77m
EPW031604
  134° 84m
EPW031515
  23° 87m
EPW015687
  75° 101m
EPW052863
  349° 115m
EPW031458
  95° 117m
EPW001249
  67° 130m
EPW048258
  315° 134m
EPW048261
  63° 137m
EPW016003
  84° 140m
EPW048254
  84° 143m
EPW015681
  73° 146m
EPR000483
  318° 150m
EPW048252
  291° 151m
EPR000169
  346° 153m
EAW022316
  336° 156m
EPW025948
  21° 156m
EPW031461
  98° 157m
EAW022320
  54° 166m
EPW015689
  106° 173m
EPW048257
  82° 174m
EPW048260
  85° 181m
EPR000484
  317° 183m
EPR000400
  338° 185m
EPW060992
  86° 191m
EPW046724
  46° 192m
EPW015683
  111° 193m
EPW001248
  76° 196m
EPW048251
  86° 208m
EPW048262
  95° 208m
EPR000485
  322° 214m
EAW022325
  103° 215m
EPW001247
  112° 217m
EAW022322
  297° 221m
EPW031459
  71° 225m
EAW022323
  352° 229m
EPW031520
  121° 230m
EPW015682
  84° 231m
EPW019228
  72° 240m
EPW048256
  307° 249m
EPW048255
  304° 254m
EPW031596
  53° 257m
EPW031521
  129° 270m

Manylion

Pennawd [EPW016000] St Mary's Church and the Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926
Cyfeirnod EPW016000
Dyddiad 30-June-1926
Dolen
Enw lle APSLEY
Plwyf
Ardal
Gwlad ENGLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506070, 205032
Hydred / Lledred -0.46384257700062, 51.733494452405
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL061050

Pinnau

Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:24:39 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:22:43 PM
The Bungalow

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:22:21 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:20:41 PM
Grand Junction Canal, later Grand Union Canal, here following the path of the River Gade

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:19:47 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:18:04 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809), followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at Apsley 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former Apsley Mill site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:16:55 PM