EPW015682 ENGLAND (1926).  The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926


?

Nid yw lleoliad y ddelwedd hon yn hysbys

  • +

    Delweddau cyfagos (46)

    EPW015682
      0° 0m
    EPW048259
      32° 9m
    EPW048251
      247° 23m
    EPW060992
      257° 40m
    EPW001248
      301° 45m
    EPW048262
      207° 47m
    EPW015688
      135° 49m
    EPW048260
      261° 49m
    EPW019228
      358° 52m
    EPW031459
      342° 52m
    EPW048257
      270° 57m
    EPW015686
      18° 69m
    EAW022325
      195° 74m
    EPW031461
      238° 87m
    EPW048254
      264° 87m
    EPW016003
      264° 90m
    EPW015681
      282° 91m
    EPW015689
      222° 95m
    EPW015683
      208° 106m
    EPW001247
      195° 107m
    EPW001249
      284° 113m
    EPW048261
      290° 114m
    EPW031458
      253° 117m
    EAW022320
      308° 121m
    EPW015687
      271° 132m
    EPW048253
      135° 134m
    EPW031596
      349° 135m
    EPW046724
      320° 143m
    EPW031520
      193° 144m
    EPW015685
      141° 157m
    EPW016002
      271° 159m
    EPW031597
      252° 166m
    EPW031598
      126° 168m
    EPW022460
      274° 174m
    EPW015684
      160° 177m
    EPW046725
      262° 179m
    EPW031604
      244° 188m
    EPW031521
      186° 195m
    EPW031517
      263° 198m
    EPW031515
      286° 203m
    EAW022317
      155° 209m
    EPW025948
      305° 211m
    EPW031518
      166° 223m
    EPW016000
      264° 231m
    EPW060991
      152° 246m
    EAW022319
      147° 287m
  • +

    Manylion

    Pennawd [EPW015682] The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926
    Cyfeirnod EPW015682
    Dyddiad 1 June 1926
    Enw lle APSLEY
    Plwyf
    Ardal
    Rhanbarth
    Gwlad ENGLAND
    Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506300,  205054
    Hydred / Lledred -0.46050617947404,  51.733648630024
    Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL063051
    Maint y ddelwedd (px)
  • +

    Pinnau (6)

     nash mill school

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    H.E.
    Thursday 5th of February 2015 11:41:24 PM
     The canal formerly passed by here but was moved closer to the mill as a source of water.

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:02:52 PM
     1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:53:08 PM
     Grand Union Canal (1798)

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:46:39 PM
     London Road

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:37:54 PM
     John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of '''Apsley Mill''', Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater '''1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire.''' The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 09:19:01 PM