EPW015687 ENGLAND (1926). The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (48)

EPW015687
  0° 0m
EPW016002
  270° 27m
EPW001249
  42° 32m
EPW031458
  152° 41m
EPW016003
  105° 43m
EPW022460
  283° 43m
EPW048261
  34° 43m
EPW015681
  70° 45m
EPW048254
  106° 46m
EPW046725
  238° 53m
EPW031597
  205° 60m
EPW031517
  248° 70m
EPW048257
  93° 75m
EPW031461
  130° 76m
EAW022320
  27° 80m
EPW031515
  310° 82m
EPW048260
  97° 83m
EPW031604
  204° 93m
EPW060992
  97° 93m
EPW001248
  77° 95m
EPW015689
  137° 101m
EPW016000
  255° 101m
EPW048251
  96° 110m
EPW046724
  20° 114m
EPW048262
  112° 119m
EPW031459
  68° 124m
EPW025948
  341° 125m
EPW015683
  140° 127m
EPW015682
  91° 132m
EAW022325
  124° 135m
EPW048259
  88° 137m
EPW019228
  69° 139m
EPW052863
  306° 148m
EPW001247
  136° 149m
EPW015686
  68° 166m
EPW031596
  39° 168m
EPW015688
  103° 171m
EPW031520
  145° 175m
EPR000169
  312° 182m
EAW022316
  306° 199m
EPW048258
  289° 204m
EPR000483
  293° 216m
EPR000400
  311° 221m
EPW031521
  150° 226m
EAW022323
  327° 238m
EPW048252
  277° 240m
EPR000484
  296° 247m
EPR000485
  302° 269m

Manylion

Pennawd [EPW015687] The Apsley Paper Mills, Apsley, 1926
Cyfeirnod EPW015687
Dyddiad 1-June-1926
Dolen
Enw lle APSLEY
Plwyf
Ardal
Gwlad ENGLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506168, 205058
Hydred / Lledred -0.46241591143609, 51.733709607443
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL062051

Pinnau

Grand Junction Canal, later Grand Union Canal, here following the path of the River Gade

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:13:36 PM
Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:12:47 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:10:53 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:09:45 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809), followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at Apsley 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former Apsley Mill site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - John Dickinson (inventor) and John Dickinson Stationery Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:05:12 PM