EPW048254 ENGLAND (1935). The Apsley Paper Mills and surrounding countryside, Apsley, 1935

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2024. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (48)

EPW048254
  0° 0m
EPW016003
  288° 3m
EPW015681
  355° 28m
EPW048257
  73° 31m
EPW031458
  227° 35m
EPW048260
  86° 38m
EPW031461
  160° 39m
EPW001249
  328° 43m
EPW015687
  286° 46m
EPW060992
  90° 48m
EPW048261
  337° 52m
EPW001248
  55° 58m
EPW048251
  90° 65m
EPW015689
  159° 66m
EPW048262
  116° 72m
EPW016002
  280° 73m
EPW031597
  239° 82m
EAW022320
  354° 84m
EPW015682
  84° 87m
EPW022460
  284° 89m
EAW022325
  133° 91m
EPW015683
  156° 92m
EPW031459
  50° 92m
EPW046725
  260° 92m
EPW048259
  79° 93m
EPW019228
  54° 105m
EPW031604
  229° 109m
EPW031517
  263° 110m
EPW001247
  148° 111m
EPW046724
  358° 120m
EPW015688
  102° 124m
EPW031515
  301° 127m
EPW015686
  55° 132m
EPW031520
  157° 142m
EPW016000
  264° 143m
EPW031596
  23° 155m
EPW025948
  327° 157m
EPW052863
  301° 192m
EPW031521
  160° 196m
EPW015684
  137° 215m
EPR000169
  307° 225m
EAW022316
  302° 243m
EPW031518
  146° 250m
EPW048258
  289° 251m
EPR000483
  292° 262m
EPR000400
  306° 265m
EAW022323
  321° 275m
EPW031516
  149° 286m

Manylion

Pennawd [EPW048254] The Apsley Paper Mills and surrounding countryside, Apsley, 1935
Cyfeirnod EPW048254
Dyddiad July-1935
Dolen
Enw lle APSLEY
Plwyf
Ardal
Gwlad ENGLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506213, 205045
Hydred / Lledred -0.46176841756471, 51.733584225004
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL062050

Pinnau

The Bungalow

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:59:24 PM
Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:57:43 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:56:21 PM
Grand Junction Canal 1798 -later Grand Union Canal

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:54:47 PM

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:53:03 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:51:17 PM