Adrodd fel Amhriodol

Testun Gwreiddiol (Anodiad: SAW032180 / 1352577)

' This shows part of the forge on the north side of East Wellington Street, from the south-east. This is 'F' machine shop, probably built in the 1890s, and a heavy machine shop used when built to machine gun barrels and other large steel forgings and castings. Beardmores became the largest munitions works in Scotland during both World Wars. After World War II the firm made, among other products, forged boiler-drums and work rolls for steel strip mills. The works closed in the 1980s, and most of the site is now a retail park, known as The Forge. This very large complex had its origins in a forge established in about 1837 by Reoch Brothers & Co to make forgings from scrap malleable iron. It was subsequently enormously enlarged by a series of partnerships, and under Sir William Beardmore became a major munitions works from the 1890s. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN. '