EAW005546 ENGLAND (1947). Brancepeth Castle and St Brandon's Church, Brancepeth, 1947
© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2025. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.
Nearby Images (5)
Details
Title | [EAW005546] Brancepeth Castle and St Brandon's Church, Brancepeth, 1947 |
Reference | EAW005546 |
Date | 17-May-1947 |
Link | |
Place name | BRANCEPETH |
Parish | BRANCEPETH |
District | |
Country | ENGLAND |
Easting / Northing | 422324, 537701 |
Longitude / Latitude | -1.6532741775187, 54.733686980996 |
National Grid Reference | NZ223377 |
Pins
Stockley Bridge carrying the lane over the railway and is still extant as one of the surviving overbridges on this stretch of the Brandon-Bishop Auckland Railway Path. |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:55:44 AM |
L.&N.E.R. Bishop Auckland-Durham Branch 1857-1968. Closed to passengers in 1964, the railway track was removed by 1970 and the route is now the very popular Brandon-Bishop Auckland Railway Path. |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:53:09 AM |
Steam train hauling a rake of wagons towards Willington Station. |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:49:11 AM |
Brancepeth Village |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:45:53 AM |
Stockley Lane |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:44:59 AM |
A690 to Willington and Crook |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:43:46 AM |
Brancepeth Golf Club was founded in 1924 and occupies the area formerly known as Brancepeth (Deer) Park. |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:42:32 AM |
The Army camp at Stockley Grove was closed in 1962 to be used briefly as an open-cast coal mine (1963/64). |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:40:29 AM |
Military Camp 1940-1962 |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:38:21 AM |
Castle occupies a site from Norman times and has been reconstructed on numerous occasions since, more especially from the 19th century restoration. Was used as a convalescent home for injured servicemen in 1914-18 and became the regimental HQ of the Durham Light Infantry during World War II. It's now in private ownership. |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:36:44 AM |
The 900-year old church was destroyed by fire in 1998 and rebuilt by 2005 |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 10:32:31 AM |
User Comment Contributions
A magnificent view of Brancepeth Castle and environs on a fine, spring morning (Saturday), looking almost due west, beyond the former Brancepeth Deer Park, towards the Military Camp set up during the Second World War on the south and west sides of the village. A freight train is visible in the far distance, heading south-west towards Willington and Bishop Auckland, having just passed through Brancepeth Station, which is off the photograph, to the top right. |
John Swain |
Saturday 24th of August 2013 11:03:17 AM |