SAW009333 SCOTLAND (1947). Gilnockie Tower, Hollows. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing east.

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2021. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (3)

SAW009332
  0° 0m
SAW009333
  0° 0m
SAW009334
  0° 0m

Details

Title [SAW009333] Gilnockie Tower, Hollows. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing east.
Reference SAW009333
Date 1947
Link Canmore Collection item 1268586
Place name
Parish CANONBIE
District ANNANDALE AND ESKDALE
Country SCOTLAND
Easting / Northing 338231, 578559
Longitude / Latitude -2.9680745291283, 55.097541138175
National Grid Reference NY382786

Pins

In 1978, the tower was a roofless ruin, when it was bought by Major T.C.R. Armstrong-Wilson, who undertook a full restoration. It was re-roofed, and floors were reconstructed at four levels. Authentic oak doors were fitted to all rooms. The interior was plastered out, and electricity and water taken in to the building. The tower is a Category A listed building, and all work was carried out in consultation with the Scottish Development Department (Ancient Monuments). The tower now houses the Clan Armstrong centre.

Billy Turner
Saturday 2nd of July 2016 04:52:54 PM