EPW001280 ENGLAND (1920). The asylum and workhouse, Fishponds, 1920. This image has been produced from a copy-negative.

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Details

Title [EPW001280] The asylum and workhouse, Fishponds, 1920. This image has been produced from a copy-negative.
Reference EPW001280
Date May-1920
Link
Place name FISHPONDS
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 362475, 176291
Longitude / Latitude -2.5404693825998, 51.483840494523
National Grid Reference ST625763

Pins

The Old Tavern

Fishpondsonian
Tuesday 21st of August 2018 11:25:05 PM
Broomhill Quarry

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:46:16 PM
Stapleton Mill

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:44:32 PM
Former Stapleton Prison building incorporated into the Bristol Union Workhouse complex

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:37:26 PM
Workhouse chapel

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:36:12 PM
Bristol Lunatic Asylum isolation hospital

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:34:51 PM
Bristol Asylum Chapel, now Glenside Hospital Museum. www.glensidemuseum.org.uk/

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:33:12 PM
Bristol Union Workhouse

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:28:56 PM
Originally Stapleton Prison, opened 1779. Later used as a naval school, Purchased by the Bristol Board of Guardians to become the Bristol Union Workhouse in 1837. Largely rebuilt in 1861. C.1914 the site became Stapleton Institution for the Maintenance and Workshop Training of Certified Mental Defectives. Re-named Stapleton Hospital in 1948 and Manor Park Hospital in 1956. Merged with Glenside Hospital in 1993. In 2005, most of the older buildings were vacated and remain empty. A modern medium-secure unit continues to operate on site. See: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Bristol/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_Hill_Hospital#Stapleton_Workhouse

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:29:21 PM
Administration Block

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:04:13 PM
Bristol Lunatic Asylum, later Glenside Hospital

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:02:14 PM

User Comment Contributions

The Bristol Lunatic Asylum was opened in 1861 in buildings by Henry Crisp.



Originally designed for 250 in-patients, in 1900 (following several extensions by both Crisp and George Oatley) it housed 951 long-term patients (419 male, 532 female).



In 1914, the hospital was requisitioned by the War Office to become the Beaufort War Hospital treating wounded soldiers. Apart from 45 patients who were retained to work on the estate, existing mental patients were evacuated to other asylums in the south-west, some as far afield as Cornwall and Dorset. Most of the permanent staff were retained, and were joined by 25 physicians and surgeons and a large intake of nurses. The hospital was returned to civilian use in 1919.



In 1948, the hospital joined the NHS and was renamed Glenside Hospital. From January 1993, the co-located Manor Park and Glenside hospitals merged to become Blackberry Hill Hospital. A programme of phased partial closure saw most patients assessed for capability, with many placed within the Care in the Community programme, and others moved into new buildings constructed on the former Manor Park site for long-term care.



The former Glenside Hospital campus was bought in 1996 to become the main campus of the University of the West of England's Faculty of Health and Community Studies.



See: http://www.glensidemuseum.org.uk/ww1-hospital/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenside,_Bristol

Dan Gregory
Saturday 13th of September 2014 10:02:56 PM