Report content as inappropriate

Original Text (Annotation: EAW035319 / 940061)

' Poplar Police Station. The following description has been taken from the web. Police Station at Nos 193–195 (demolished). About 1861 stables at No. 193 were taken for use by the Metropolitan Police and in 1867–8 these and the house of the builder John Jeffrey at No. 195 were adapted for use as a police station by Lathey Brothers of Battersea Park at a tendered price of £1,193 to designs by T. C. Sorby, architect. This was under lease from the freeholder until the police bought the freehold in 1892. In 1897–8 the site was rebuilt for the Metropolitan Police by Willmott & Sons of Hitchin at a tendered price of £9,985. This was a good example of the work of the police architect, John Dixon Butler, large-scaled but well detailed, big but not intimidating — qualities which the Arts-and-Crafts style and materials were well fitted to express. It was of three and four storeys, the latter rising to a straight-sided gable. The building was of brick, banded with stone, the main door marked by a large projecting shell-hood, the windowopenings of the lower two storeys emphatically mullioned-and-transomed in stone, and the flues grouped in two deep chimneystacks. The station was closed in 1971 and subsequently demolished, being replaced by a police office in Market Way. '