Report content as inappropriate

Original Text (Annotation: EAW006312 / 1122671)

' In 1835 this buiding was built as a workhouse. This remained a workhouse until the 1940's.In the workhouse the men and women were seperated even if they were married. Tramps were seen walking down the Warwick road to call at St Johns church for food handouts. In the first world war it was evacuated and turned into a prisoner of war camp. During the second world war it war a forces recuperation hospital. The building was later used as National Health Hospital with maternity and geriatric facillities. Also in the grounds of the building were isolation facillities for TB and Scarlet fever in the 1940's and 1950's. The workhouse stigma lived on. It was demolished in late 1990's. '