WAW002708 WALES (1946). View of Llandudno showing pavillion and Grand Hotel

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (48)

WPW003014
  0° 0m
WPW003015
  0° 0m
WPW003016
  0° 0m
WPW003017
  0° 0m
WPW003018
  0° 0m
WPW003019
  0° 0m
WPW003020
  0° 0m
WPW003021
  0° 0m
WPW003022
  0° 0m
WPW003023
  0° 0m
WPW003024
  0° 0m
WPW003025
  0° 0m
WPW003026
  0° 0m
WPW003027
  0° 0m
WPW003028
  0° 0m
WPW003029
  0° 0m
WPW003030
  0° 0m
WPW003031
  0° 0m
WPW003032
  0° 0m
WPW003033
  0° 0m
WPW003034
  0° 0m
WPW003035
  0° 0m
WPW009501
  0° 0m
WPW009502
  0° 0m
WPW009503
  0° 0m
WPW009504
  0° 0m
WPW009505
  0° 0m
WPW009506
  0° 0m
WPW009507
  0° 0m
WPW009508
  0° 0m
WPW009509
  0° 0m
WPW009510
  0° 0m
WPW009511
  0° 0m
WPW009512
  0° 0m
WPW009513
  0° 0m
WPW009514
  0° 0m
WPW009515
  0° 0m
WPW009516
  0° 0m
WPW009517
  0° 0m
WPW009518
  0° 0m
WPW009519
  0° 0m
WPW040118
  0° 0m
WPW040119
  0° 0m
WPW040120
  0° 0m
WPW040121
  0° 0m
WPW040122
  0° 0m
WPW045175
  0° 0m
WPW045176
  0° 0m

Details

Title [WAW002708] View of Llandudno showing pavillion and Grand Hotel
Reference WAW002708
Date 1946
Link Coflein Archive Item 6413236
Place name
Parish
District
Country WALES
Easting / Northing 278000, 382000
Longitude / Latitude -3.8317610743088, 53.320577115954
National Grid Reference SH780820

Pins

Former fishing tackle shop where fishermen could obtain licences to fish from the pier. Found to be closed in 2018. The entrance to the pier here was the original entry, the pier was later extended around the Grand Hotel to nearer the town centre. The pier cabin to the right was in place until 2017, then moved. For many years it sold sea shells and trinkets.

totoro
Sunday 6th of January 2019 09:36:56 PM
Former public toilets, closed some years ago. (There are toilets in a separate building past the Happy Valley cafe and also at the far end of the pier).

totoro
Sunday 6th of January 2019 09:35:30 PM
The Grand Hotel, was built in 1901 and remains open in 2018. It can be seen the the movie YANKS.

totoro
Sunday 6th of January 2019 09:34:01 PM
Llandudno Pier Pavillion Theatre, opened in 1886 - the lead roof having replaced an earlier glass roof which did not loast long. In the basement a swimming pool also did not last long due to water quality difficulties. Symphonic music in the pavilion was viewed by Henry Wood (of proms fame) and the baton was held for two seasons by Sir Malcolm Sargent. Sir Adrian Boult was a guest conductor on several occaisions. By 1936 tastes had moved to variety theatre. Many now world famous variety stars played here eg George Formby, Petula Clark, Jimmy Edwards- a very full list. The theatre, which held 2000, was used also for political rallies and conferences and many national politicians spoke here. By the early 1980's the Sumer season was shorter, audiences were declining and the Pier Company sold the pavilion theatre to the company which operated the cabin lift. The next season was the last for the theatre which closed in 1984, however attractions continued in the basement- latterly a horror waxworks. From 1990 the building was unused. Ownership passed in 1992 but there was no further use for the building which was destroyed by fire in 1994. The site remained derelict but in 2016 plans were advanced for a tall residential apartment block with retail and refreshment facilities.

totoro
Sunday 6th of January 2019 09:33:02 PM
Camera Obscura erected 1890, still standing and open for short hours in the Summer months.

totoro
Sunday 6th of January 2019 09:32:11 PM
On this spot in 1969 the lower cable car station was erected running for just over a mile up the Orme. Changing tastes and the clatter of the cable cars drove away audiences from the Minstrels Field to the right, which closed in 1987

totoro
Sunday 6th of January 2019 09:30:01 PM
Happy Valley Area Llandudno

Alan McFaden
Monday 17th of November 2014 04:53:23 PM