EPW048252 ENGLAND (1935).  The Apsley Paper Mills and surrounding countryside, Apsley, from the west, 1935


?

This image is unlocated

  • +

    Nearby Images (25)

    EPW048252
      0° 0m
    EPW048258
      49° 60m
    EPR000483
      35° 70m
    EAW022322
      309° 72m
    EPR000484
      12° 80m
    EPW048256
      328° 110m
    EPW048255
      322° 112m
    EPR000485
      5° 114m
    EAW022316
      41° 116m
    EPW052863
      64° 133m
    EPR000400
      31° 136m
    EPR000169
      48° 139m
    EPW016000
      111° 151m
    EPW031515
      82° 177m
    EPW031517
      107° 182m
    EPW016001
      279° 185m
    EPW022460
      95° 198m
    EPW046725
      106° 201m
    EAW022323
      33° 205m
    EPW016002
      98° 214m
    EPW025948
      65° 217m
    EPW031597
      111° 229m
    EPW031604
      119° 231m
    EPW015687
      97° 240m
    EAW022318
      40° 291m
  • +

    Details

    Title [EPW048252] The Apsley Paper Mills and surrounding countryside, Apsley, from the west, 1935
    Reference EPW048252
    Date July 1935
    Place name APSLEY
    Parish
    District
    Region
    Country ENGLAND
    Easting / Northing 505929,  205088
    Longitude / Latitude -0.46586677060525,  51.734024500716
    National Grid Reference TL059051
    Image size (px)
  • +

    Pins (3)

     Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

       Report as Inappropriate

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:58:49 PM
     1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

       Report as Inappropriate

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:56:41 PM
     John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence

       Report as Inappropriate

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:52:05 PM