EPW037384 ENGLAND (1932). The Watford Junction and the town centre, Watford, 1932

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (18)

EPW037384
  0° 0m
EAW038560
  115° 83m
EAW048381
  62° 184m
EAW048390
  67° 188m
EAW048385
  56° 205m
EAW048387
  55° 214m
EAW048382
  59° 216m
EAW048389
  59° 220m
EAW048384
  52° 235m
EAW048386
  62° 244m
EPR000491
  66° 244m
EPW060249
  90° 244m
EPR000490
  74° 247m
EPR000493
  69° 251m
EAW038556
  122° 270m
EAW048388
  46° 280m
EAW048383
  56° 288m
EPW021399
  231° 308m

Details

Title [EPW037384] The Watford Junction and the town centre, Watford, 1932
Reference EPW037384
Date April-1932
Link
Place name WATFORD
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 510933, 197428
Longitude / Latitude -0.39586258912132, 51.66420313247
National Grid Reference TQ109974

Pins

Hutched chlorine rail tank car

D869
Tuesday 18th of April 2017 12:41:35 PM
The Clarendon Arms

The Laird
Saturday 11th of July 2015 06:47:06 PM
Original Watford Junction Station

Pdadme
Sunday 18th of May 2014 12:25:54 PM
Watford No:2 Signal box

PRO
Wednesday 27th of November 2013 01:43:29 AM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 05:01:15 PM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:53:28 PM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:52:43 PM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:52:01 PM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:51:27 PM
Junction of Clarendon and Woodford roads

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:50:53 PM
The large-scale 1896 plan of Watford shows that three hotels were located within a few yards of the station, including the Malden and Clarendon.

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 05:26:50 PM
Grounds of the London Orphan School

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:49:28 PM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:48:13 PM

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:47:24 PM
St.Albans Road overbridge

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:45:59 PM
LMSR St.Albans Branch

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:45:13 PM
London Midland & Scottish Railway

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:44:13 PM
Watford Junction Station

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 04:43:09 PM

User Comment Contributions

Any group relating to the growth and importance of Watford must surely include a picture of the Main Line station at Watford Junction and this is probably the clearest image available on the website.

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 05:36:40 PM
Watford Junction has undergone many changes and facelifts since 1932, most particularly with the clearance of the old station buildings in Woodford Road, to be replaced with car and bus parking areas and a huge office block. Modern track equipment is now in place, complementing the new rolling stock.

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 05:33:03 PM
The railway helped in the development of the town in the second half of the 19th century. The original railway line between London and Birmingham was laid in 1837, and this was followed in 1858 and 1862 by the branch lines to St.Albans and Rickmansworth, respectively. The current Watford Junction Station was built in 1858 and through the remainder of the Victorian era, it became a major employer in the town, with an extensive goods yard, cattle pens, large engine shed and crane. By 1896, Watford was fast becoming a commuter town as links improved to London and it was no longer "a genteel market town". The town's reputation for fresh air and clean water attracted outside charities to set up institutions, including the London Orphan Asylum, built east of the station and west of the River Colne in 1870, for children from Clapton, north-east London, after a cholera outbreak. Residential development continued apace to the north and west of Watford Junction, and Callowland soon became North Watford by the 1930s.

John Swain
Sunday 4th of August 2013 05:18:17 PM