EPW036885 ENGLAND (1931). The Old Station, St John's Church and environs, Halifax, 1931

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2020. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (7)

EPW036885
  0° 0m
EPW036888
  187° 52m
EPW036887
  11° 65m
EPW036886
  74° 103m
EAW028057
  17° 110m
EAW028055
  136° 129m
EPW057282
  234° 169m

Details

Title [EPW036885] The Old Station, St John's Church and environs, Halifax, 1931
Reference EPW036885
Date September-1931
Link
Place name HALIFAX
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 409650, 424944
Longitude / Latitude -1.8537464815978, 53.720591774152
National Grid Reference SE097249

Pins

Headquarters of John Mackintosh & Sons founded in 1890 by John Mackintosh & his wife, Violet. Initially they ran a small baker's shop just outside the Halifax town centre and Violet developed a new form of toffee which they gave away to their Saturday customers. This new form of toffee mixed the traditional brittle British toffee with the softer, caramel-based toffee developed in the United States. Eventually this was marketed as Toff-O-Luxe and Toffee-De-Luxe. As the company expanded the range increased and Mackintosh's began to take over other confectionery companies such as Caley's in Norwich. Eventually in 1969 they merged with Rowntree of York to become Rowntree Mackintosh and in 1988 were themselves taken over by Nestlé who still own the business. The factory shown here is still in place and is still operated by Nestlé

Tonemart
Saturday 21st of December 2013 03:07:48 PM

User Comment Contributions

Marked are the HQ of John Mackintosh & Sons Ltd, manufacturers of delicious toffee and the best-selling Quality Street assortment. The building is still there (2013) and is operated by Nestlé.

Tonemart
Saturday 21st of December 2013 03:13:33 PM