Report content as inappropriate

Original Text (Annotation: EAW011379 / 710631)

' The London Fruit Exchange, Spitalfields Market, by architect Sydney Perks for the Corporation of London, opened in 1929. The Corporation purchased Spitalfields Market in 1920. During World War Two the basement was home to London's largest public under ground air raid shelter, known as "Mickey's Shelter" after its organiser, legendary community hero, Mickey Davies, born Michael Valpiensky. In 1963, the Wool Exchange was moved into the building and it became the London Fruit and Wool Exchange. Tragically, it now may be demolished along with The Gun public house and Barclays Bank and Dorset/Duval Street and the next block south (now a car park) - all the way to White's Row. '