Report content as inappropriate

Original Text (Annotation: EPW041170 / 396571)

' St Petrock's Church which survived the 1942 blitz. It was one of twenty-nine churches which William the Conqueror directed the City Provost to pay one silver penny out of the public taxes. In 1191, the simple chancel, nave and perhaps a bell tower was formally named St Petrock's by Bishop Marshall. Close to the centre of the city and the Guildhall, St Petrock's has had an important place in the lives of many city mayors. In 1286, St Petrock's became a superior postern entrance into Cathedral Yard and had to be shut at night – in other words, it was one of the seven gates to Cathedral Yard. The church was also used to support the poor and in 1411 a parishioner gave funds in his will for 100 poor persons in the parish be properly clothed. Two years later, in 1413 the nave was extended and a century later, it was further enlarged and named the 'Jesus Aisle" which is distinguished by a still existing row of columns. The bell tower was rebuilt and the church re-consecrated in 1513 by Thomas Chard acting as Suffragan Bishop for the elderly Bishop Oldham while the octagonal turret was added in 1737. With thanks to Exeter Memories '