Report content as inappropriate

Original Text (Annotation: EPW039923 / 2030509)

' Chandos Glass Cone. It was constructed by James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos as part of an industrial development close to the River Parrett, which enabled the transport of raw materials from his other enterprises at Stourbridge. Local sand was used. The cone was in use for glassmaking for only a short time. The business struggled almost from the start and was mismanaged by the Duke's local agents, who were declared bankrupt in 1728. Glass-making ceased in 1734 and then, after several years in which the cone was used as an iron foundry, it became a pottery works with three kilns installed within the cone. Between 1827 and 1939 bricks and tiles were produced in addition to pottery. In the 1870s a railway siding was built between the local and the pottery, which included the construction of the Telescopic Bridge. '