SAW024481 SCOTLAND (1949). Anderson-Grice Co. Ltd. Taymouth Engineering Works, Anderson Street and Carnoustie Golf Courses, Carnoustie. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing south-east. This image has been produced from a crop marked negative.

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (8)

SAW024478
  0° 0m
SAW024479
  0° 0m
SAW024480
  0° 0m
SAW024481
  0° 0m
SAW024482
  0° 0m
SAW024483
  0° 0m
SAW024484
  0° 0m
SPW019958
  0° 0m

Manylion

Pennawd [SAW024481] Anderson-Grice Co. Ltd. Taymouth Engineering Works, Anderson Street and Carnoustie Golf Courses, Carnoustie. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing south-east. This image has been produced from a crop marked negative.
Cyfeirnod SAW024481
Dyddiad 1949
Dolen Canmore Collection item 1269327
Enw lle
Plwyf BARRY
Ardal ANGUS
Gwlad SCOTLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 355060, 734050
Hydred / Lledred -2.7300280195039, 56.496491019131
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol NO551341

Pinnau

Byddwch y cyntaf i ychwanegu sylw at y ddelwedd hon!

Cyfraniadau Grŵp

Anderson-Grice Co. Ltd was founded by George Anderson of Arbroath. Anderson had previously operated from the Arbroath Foundry in Dickfield Street, Arbroath. He was an excellent engineer and familiar with the needs of the quarry industry. His foundry specialised in cranes, stone cutting and planing machinery. By 1886 the foundry had out grown the Dickfield Street premises and larger ones were sought. In around 1886, Anderson began to relocate the business to the neighbouring town of Carnoustie where the former Taymouth Linen Works was vacant. The move was completed by 1898.



Arthur Grice became a partner in the company in 1902 to assist the ageing George Anderson. Four years later he introduced the company to a new venture - car manufacturing. Between 1906 and 1910 they built a small number of cars. The Dalhousie cars never achieved fullscale production.



The main products of the company continued to be cutting machinery. They earned a worldwide reputation for their skills. The poster advertises some of the uses to which Anderson-Grice products were put to use. These included salvaging German battleships from Scappa flow and building many harbour facilities in Britain and abroad.



Carnoustie Library holds extensive cuttings and research on the firm.

Billy Turner
Thursday 5th of January 2017 04:32:58 PM