EPW060887 ENGLAND (1939). The Durham Timber Co Sawmill and housing off New Road, Crook, 1939

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (29)

EPW060887
  0° 0m
EPW060892
  78° 25m
EAW016867
  135° 31m
EPW060896
  93° 31m
EPW060893
  40° 50m
EAW016865
  20° 53m
EAW016875
  41° 57m
EPW060897
  71° 60m
EPW060894
  58° 70m
EAW000855
  51° 75m
EPW060890
  87° 78m
EAW016873
  51° 86m
EAW000858A
  345° 103m
EAW000856
  33° 105m
EPW060891
  87° 109m
EAW016864
  133° 119m
EAW016871
  120° 119m
EAW000857
  26° 139m
EAW016869
  23° 145m
EPW060888
  83° 155m
EAW016870
  26° 160m
EAW016866
  86° 161m
EAW016876
  75° 184m
EPW060895
  50° 186m
EAW016868
  11° 199m
EAW000858
  49° 205m
EPW060889
  102° 205m
EAW016874
  17° 220m
EAW016872
  51° 259m

Manylion

Pennawd [EPW060887] The Durham Timber Co Sawmill and housing off New Road, Crook, 1939
Cyfeirnod EPW060887
Dyddiad 1-May-1939
Dolen
Enw lle CROOK
Plwyf
Ardal
Gwlad ENGLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 416102, 534889
Hydred / Lledred -1.75006565008, 54.708651794482
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol NZ161349

Pinnau

Enclosed fields showing signs of the medieval ridge and furrow system.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:09:14 AM

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:07:42 AM
Wagons leading into the Goods Station at Crook.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:07:05 AM
The Eclipse Silica Brickworks, formerly known as the Woodifield Brickworks, which developed close to the colliery of the same name.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:06:17 AM
Brookside Avenue

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:03:57 AM
LNER Bishop Auckland & Darlington Branch.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:02:27 AM
Signal box controlling siding into the Eclipse Silica Brickworks.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 09:59:43 AM
New 1930s sawmills on site of the closed Crook Colliery.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 09:57:53 AM

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 09:57:01 AM
Playing Field

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 09:56:14 AM
Interwar housing in South End Villas

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 09:55:40 AM

Cyfraniadau Grŵp

This is a view looking south-west at the southern edge of the small market town of Crook, which had grown significantly from a hamlet of 193 folk in 1801 to more than 11,400 a century later. The rapid development was almost entirely due to large-scale coal-mining and associated coking plants. When this picture was taken, Crook was still in the throes of the Great Depression, when unemployment rates rose to 34% throughout much of the decade. The town's population reached a peak of 12,706 in 1921, only for it to decline to 11,690 in 1931. One current estimate is 9,547 (2011).



The photograph shows some of the newer manufacturing concerns on the southern outskirts of Crook, which would eventually be developed further as a series of industrial estates in post-war years. The railway was closed in the mid-1960s, part of which was used as a new road layout (A689), but most of the housing remains extant. The brickworks were eventually closed in the 1960s after more than a century of activity and the site is now occupied by the Beechburn Industrial Estate. Apart from that, the scene is largely unchanged, in marked contrast to the former works on the north-western side of the town.

John Swain
Saturday 31st of August 2013 10:29:27 AM