EPW031519 ENGLAND (1930).  The Apsley Paper Mills and St Mary's Church, Apsley, from the east, 1930


?

Nid yw lleoliad y ddelwedd hon yn hysbys

  • +

    Delweddau cyfagos (15)

    EPW031519
      0° 0m
    EPW031598
      278° 164m
    EAW022319
      230° 187m
    EPW015685
      270° 200m
    EPW048253
      278° 205m
    EPW060991
      242° 205m
    EAW022324
      229° 206m
    EAW022317
      252° 221m
    EPW060990
      234° 228m
    EPW015684
      259° 241m
    EAW022315
      228° 262m
    EPW031518
      249° 264m
    EPW060989
      230° 271m
    EPW031516
      241° 275m
    EAW022321
      229° 280m
  • +

    Manylion

    Pennawd [EPW031519] The Apsley Paper Mills and St Mary's Church, Apsley, from the east, 1930
    Cyfeirnod EPW031519
    Dyddiad February 1930
    Enw lle APSLEY
    Plwyf
    Ardal
    Rhanbarth
    Gwlad ENGLAND
    Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506598,  204930
    Hydred / Lledred -0.45623005428565,  51.732477405824
    Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL066049
    Maint y ddelwedd (px)
  • +

    Pinnau (5)

     canal footbridge to apsley

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    Baz 1969
    Thursday 19th of February 2015 06:36:10 AM
     Grand Junction Canal (1798), later Grand Union Canal Here following the route of the River Gade

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:36:16 PM
     1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:32:28 PM
     John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:30:19 PM
     Belswains lane

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    Baz 1969
    Friday 27th of December 2013 05:02:31 PM