Britain from Above will be unavailable on Saturday the 24th of November at 7:30am for around 5 hours due to essential maintenance. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

EPW015685 ENGLAND (1926).  The Apsley Paper Mills and the Grand Union Canal, Apsley, 1926


?

Nid yw lleoliad y ddelwedd hon yn hysbys

  • +

    Delweddau cyfagos (44)

    EPW015685
      0° 0m
    EPW048253
      353° 28m
    EPW031598
      58° 43m
    EPW015684
      220° 58m
    EAW022317
      189° 68m
    EPW060991
      169° 96m
    EPW031518
      206° 105m
    EPW015688
      324° 108m
    EAW022325
      293° 128m
    EPW001247
      278° 128m
    EAW022319
      155° 132m
    EPW031520
      262° 132m
    EPW060990
      174° 133m
    EPW031521
      239° 138m
    EAW022324
      162° 140m
    EPW031516
      197° 140m
    EPW048262
      304° 144m
    EPW015683
      281° 150m
    EPW015682
      321° 157m
    EPW048259
      324° 160m
    EPW048251
      313° 165m
    EPW015689
      287° 170m
    EPW060989
      183° 172m
    EAW022315
      179° 174m
    EPW060992
      309° 178m
    EAW022321
      183° 185m
    EPW048260
      308° 187m
    EPW031461
      294° 188m
    EPW048257
      308° 197m
    EPW001248
      317° 200m
    EPW031519
      90° 200m
    EPW019228
      330° 201m
    EPW015686
      338° 203m
    EPW031460
      216° 203m
    EPW031459
      326° 207m
    EPW048254
      301° 217m
    EPW016003
      301° 220m
    EPW031458
      293° 229m
    EPW015681
      307° 234m
    EPW001249
      305° 257m
    EPW048261
      308° 261m
    EPW015687
      298° 262m
    EAW022320
      315° 276m
    EPW046724
      321° 300m
  • +

    Manylion

    Pennawd [EPW015685] The Apsley Paper Mills and the Grand Union Canal, Apsley, 1926
    Cyfeirnod EPW015685
    Dyddiad 1 June 1926
    Enw lle APSLEY
    Plwyf
    Ardal
    Rhanbarth
    Gwlad ENGLAND
    Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 506398,  204931
    Hydred / Lledred -0.45912505134963,  51.732524399138
    Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol TL064049
    Maint y ddelwedd (px)
  • +

    Pinnau (6)

     Bridge to apsley (sainsburys)

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    Baz 1969
    Saturday 14th of March 2015 07:28:51 PM
     The canal footbridge to apsley

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    Baz 1969
    Sunday 1st of March 2015 09:00:47 AM
     1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:09:31 PM
     John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809), followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at Apsley 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at Apsley 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left Apsley Mills and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former Apsley Mill site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - John Dickinson (inventor) and John Dickinson Stationery Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence.

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    totoro
    Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:08:49 PM
     This is what I was told is 'Belswains House' Now where Dell Mead and Belswains Cottages are sited

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    ordinarybloke
    Saturday 6th of April 2013 09:47:52 PM
    I now think Dell Mead is slightly North of this

    Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    ordinarybloke
    Saturday 6th of April 2013 09:49:41 PM
     Canal boat towing butty boat heading south towards Nash Mills Lock

       Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    D Figueiredo
    Wednesday 19th of December 2012 12:14:09 PM
    The pair are heading north not south

    Adrodd fel Amhriodol

    AndrewGVT
    Tuesday 12th of June 2018 04:20:32 PM